Dogs and Snakes
Unfortunately, the warmer weather brings with it the danger of snakes.
It is important to know what snakes live in your area, and what the signs of poisoning are so you can seek treatment immediately.
There are many types of venomous snakes in Australia but brown snakes are the ones most commonly responsible for snakebites and snakebite deaths in both animals and humans. The next most common are tiger snakes, found in the wetter parts of southern and eastern coastal Australia, especially near water. Other snakes include black snakes and taipans.
It is best to find out which types of snakes are most common in your area and their habitats so you can avoid them.
What are the signs of a snake bite?
When the snakes bite they inject venom, which contains a variety of toxins. The neurotoxin is the most important toxin in the venom of Australian snakes, causing paralysis. Snake venom also contains an agent that uses up all the clotting factors that helps to stop your pet from bleeding. Tiger snakes have an additional toxin that breaks down muscle causing damage to the kidneys.
The signs of snakebite vary depending on factors such as type of venom, location of bite and amount of venom injected. Generally, the closer the bite is to the heart the quicker the venom spreads to the rest of the body. Dogs, being inquisitive, usually try to chase or kill snakes and are more commonly bitten on the face or jaw. Cats, being hunters and more agile, commonly receive bites on their paws.
Signs may include:
Trembling, salivation, vomiting and depression
Unsteadiness, hindleg weakness, dilated pupils and worsening paralysis
Respiratory distress, red-brown urine, complete paralysis and coma
Some dogs may collapse suddenly then appear to recover before showing above signs up to an hour later.
Death can occur within 2 hours of snakebite, even within 30 minutes
What should i do if my pet is bitten by a snake?
Contact your vet to ensure they have anti-venom on hand and proceed to your vet immediately (without going over the speed limit, of course). The only treatment for snakebite is for the vet to give antivenom through a drip and the sooner the treatment is started, the greater the chances of survival.
The type of antivenom given depends on the type of snake but if the snake is not seen or identified the choice can be made on geographical area, snake venom detection kits or several antivenoms can be given. Hospitalisation will also be required to monitor the animal’s signs and treat any complications.
First aid includes keeping your pet as calm and quiet as possible and applying a pressure bandage just a firm bandage of any material over and around the bite site – if practical. NEVER apply a tourniquet, wash or cut the wound site. Carry your pet rather than let it walk to avoid speeding the spread of the snake venom.