According to a recent survey, when it comes to scooping up poop, many people feel their pet-owning neighbours deserve to be in the dog house-and with good reason. Neglecting to remove dog waste increases health threats at parks, playgrounds and even backyards. Parasites, such as hookworms and roundworms, may be found in animal waste and may be transmitted to other dogs and to people.
Many pet owners are unaware that intestinal roundworms and hookworms pose serious health threats to their pets, as well as to the human family members.
It’s important to pick up after your pet and ensure that your dog is not the source of a parasitic infection. Ask your friendly Aussie Pooch Mobile dog wash groomer about your worming needs for your pooch.
A recent survey of both dog owners and non-dog owners found:
- Nearly 38 percent of dog owners never scoop up after their pets.
- Ninety-one percent of pet owners let their dogs take care of business in their own yards. A third of that group sometimes or never cleans up after their dogs in their own yard.
- Eighty percent of dog owners don’t know dog waste poses a human health threat.
Roundworm eggs can remain viable in soil for years. As a result, anyone who comes in contact with the soil can also come in contact with infected eggs. Children who play at the park or in the back-yard and then put their hands in their mouth are susceptible to infection.
The best strategy for control begins with keeping your pet healthy. Here are some handy tips.
- Always pick up after your pet to minimise the chance of spreading infection.
- Clean up properly after pets, especially around the home and lawn. Use tools and avoid direct contact with pets waste. Wash hands immediately after.
- If you have a sandpit in your backyard, keep it covered to prevent animals from using it as a litter box.
- Carry baby wipes to wipe children’s hands frequently after playing in a park, public sandpit and the like.
Make sure you worm your puppy or kitten from an early age and stick to a regular worming schedule to prevent infection and protect your family.
For all of your pets worming needs, just speak to your local Aussie Pooch Mobile dog wash operator.