What to do if your dog suffers from chocolate poisoning this Easter!

posted in: Dogs | 0

First of all, chocolate is toxic to dogs and with that, dogs are known to eat things they’re not meant to. Easter is just around the corner, so it’s a popular time for all types of chocolate! Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains theobromine and if ingested, significant illness can result.  Be wary of feeding your pet anything that might contain chocolate and always keep it out of reach.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in your pooch;bunny-rabbits-have-dog-blog-will-travel

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • Increased body temperature
  • Increased reflex responses
  • Muscle rigidity
  • Rapid breathing
  • Increased heart rate
  • Seizures

Theobromide mainly affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Symptoms will occur from 4-24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate and will vary depending on the amount of chocolate your dog has eaten. Treatment may be needed if your dog has eaten chocolate so contact your vet as soon as possible.  It will assist your vet if you can tell them how much your dog has eaten, what type of chocolate it was and when your dog ate it!

Aussie Pooch Mobile Dog Wash / 1300 369 369 / Visit our website / Follow us on Facebook

Leave a Reply