Chomping on chocolate can be fatal for your dog

posted in: Pet Care | 2

If you think you’re doing your dog a favour by sharing your chocolate eggs with him this Easter, think again. Chocolate can be fatal for dogs.

Chocolate contains theobromine, a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean. Theobromine increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle.

While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it’s the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs. And while it may be argued that one small piece won’t hurt, large quantities of chocolate can cause severe distress including vomiting, diarrhea or hyperactivity.

As time passes and there’s increased absorption of the toxic substance, you’ll see an increase in the dog’s heart rate, which can cause arrhythmia, restlessness, hyperactivity, muscle twitching, increased urination or excessive panting. This can lead to hyperthermia, muscle tremors, seizures or a coma.

And of course, the worst scenario is death, which is not as uncommon as you think.

But you can still spoil your pooch with specially formulated (safe for dogs and yummy!!) doggy treats from Aussie Pooch Mobile dog wash and even dog-friendly toys, so they can enjoy Easter treats without harming their health.

Things like liver treats, all natural cookies and even toys are some great pressies for your pooch. Your local Aussie Pooch Mobile dog groomer can help you put together a special treat for your dog this Easter. Contact them now!

Aussie Pooch Mobile Dog Wash / 1300 369 369 / Visit our website / Follow us on Facebook

2 Responses

  1. Yvonne Negro
    | Reply

    No chocolate eggs for Jedda.

  2. […] to be big and it certainly should not have candy or chocolate in it (see previous blog post on why chocolate can be fatal for dogs). Instead, it should have dog treats, kibble, and toys. Don’t have extra money for treats or […]

Leave a Reply